Jailbreaking the iPhone is what rooting is to Android devices. After the jailbreak, you can have the deeper access and control the OS, install cracked apps and games and much more. Sounds great, right? If you are looking for a way to jailbreak iPhone running iOS 6.x, here is the right place for you.
Part 1: Reasons for Jailbreaking iOS 6.x iPhone 5/4S/4
Due to various reasons, people want to jailbreak their iPhone. Here we list the common reasons for jailbreaking.
1. Free of Apple's Limitation of Using Third Party Apps
Apple doesn't allow people to download programs not approved by its iOS Developer Program License Agreement. Jailbreaking permits the downloading of programs not approved by Apple, such as customization apps used to change the User Interface.
2. Use iPhone on Multiple Carries
Jailbreaking iPhone enables you to use software to unofficially unlock carrier-locked iPhones so they can be used with other carries.
3. Better Manage Apps
To bypass purchases from the official App Store and install illegally downloaded applications for free, you need to jailbreak your iPhone first.
4. Deeper Control of the OS
After jailbreaking, you can have the deeper access to almost unlimited customization and control of the phone's settings, like the user interface, and color scheme.
Part 2: How to Jailbreak iOS 6.x iPhone 5/4S/4 with Evasi0n
Evasi0n can be the most commonly used tool to jailbreak iPhone. The following is a tutorial on jailbreak iOS 6.x using Evasi0n.
Some requirements for jailbreaking iPhone:
- A computer, running Windows (XP minimum), Mac OS X (10.6 minimum) or Linux (x86 / x86_64)
- iTunes installed if you're running Windows
- An iPhone running iOS 6.0 through 6.1.2 (you may check in Settings / General / About => Version)
- A USB cable to connect the device to the computer
- 5 minutes of your time
Some preparations for jailbreaking iPhone:
- Back up your iPhone with iTunes or iCloud before jailbreaking. If something breaks, you'll always be able to recover your data.
(Lost iPhone Data after jailbreak without backup? iPhone Data Recovery enables you to recover iPhone data without iTunes backup.)
- Disable the lock passcode of your iOS device before using evasi0n.
- Avoid all iOS and iTunes related tasks until evasi0n is complete.
Detailed steps of jailbreaking iPhone (Demonstrated in Mac OS X):
Download evasi0n at http://www.evasi0njailbreak.com/, extract the package and launch it.
- Double click the evasi0n app to run it. Plug in your iDevice to your computer and click on the "Jailbreak" button. The "Jailbreak" button will be clickable only after evasi0n detects your device.
(Unlock your iPhone if your iPhone has a passcode set.)
- Wait for a few minutes. During this period of time, some steps involving injecting jailbreak data, rebooting the device, uploading Cydia and the Cydia packages list will be done automatically.
- After that, you will see a new app icon named "Jailbreak" on your home screen. Tap this app and the screen should go black and then return to the Home screen.
- You'll see the Root Filesystem successfully remounted on the evasi0n tool.
- Once it's done, you'll get a "Done!" message. You should now see a large evasi0n logo showing on your iOS device screen. It should appear once or twice briefly, and then stay on for a bit longer.
- Finally, you'll be taken to your Lock screen signifying that the jailbreak process is completed. Unlock your device and open Cydia. You'll then be taken back to the Lock screen one final time.
- Unlock again, open up Cydia, and choose your user type. Now your iOS 6.x iPhone is successfully jailbroken.
This is all for how to iPhone running iOS 6.x. And for some reasons such as personal preference or you need to take your device into an Apple Store for service, you have to remove jailbreak form iPhone, click here to see how to do it safely.