Have you ever run into this awkward situation? After disjoining a Windows 7 client machine from the domain, you are unable to login the computer again. That is not because you forgot the password. It is because the local administrator account was disabled by default. Then how can you enable administrator account Windows 7 and get access to your PC again? The article below shows you four methods to enable hidden administrator account and one swift way to disable administrator account.
Method 1. From the Command Prompt to Activate the Account
1. Click "Start" icon, and type "cmd", then press "Enter". It is best to run the Command Prompt as an Administrator. To do so, please right-click CMD and select "Run as Administrator" (Tips: You can also hover over the CMD line and press "ctrl+shift+Enter" to invoke the "Run as Administrator" shortcut.)
2. In the Command Prompt, enter the simple command below to activate it.
net user administrator /active:yes
Method 2. From Local Security Policy
1. Type "secpol.msc" in the search bar and press "Enter"
2. In Local Security Policy, navigate to Local Policies > Security Options where you can see an entry that reads Accounts: Administrator account status. Click it, in the pop up "Administrator account status Properties". Choose "Enabled" then click "OK".
Method 3. Using the Local Users and Groups Snap-in
1. Open Local Users and Groups. You can do so by typing lusrmgr.msc in the Start search box, run command and pressing ENTER. Or, you could open "Computer Management" by right-clicking "Computer" in the "Start" menu and selecting Manage.
2. Expand System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Users.
3. Right-click the Administrator account and select "Set Password".
4. In the "Set Password for Administrator", click "Proceed".
5. In the "Set Password for Administrator", enter the Administrator's desired password twice, and click "Ok".
6. Right-click the Administrator's account and select "Properties".
7. Un-check the "Account is disabled". Click on the "Ok" button.
Method 4. During the Installation Process
This method can be used by the advanced users.
1. During the installation, after being prompted to configure the new user account, you will be able to set the new account's password.
2. At that phase, press SHIFT and F10 keys together. A Command Prompt window will appear.
3. In the Command Prompt window, type: net user. Note how the Administrator account is there, yet the new user account has not been yet created.
4. To set the Administrator's account password: net user *
5. Then enter the required password and confirm it.
6. To enable the Administrator's accoun: net user administrator /active:yes
7. Close the Command Prompt window and continue with the installation process.
Disable Built-in Administrator Account
Make Windows 7 administrator account disabled or hidden, firstly, make sure to log on as your regular user account, then open as administrator mode command prompt as below. Type the following command: net user administrator /active: no. The administrator account will now be disabled and it will not show up on the login screen anymore.
Tips: If Windows 7 accounts are hidden and unusable, you can create a new Windows 7 user account with Windows Password Recovery Tool to get access to you PC again.
PasswordSeeker is part of Tenorshare which has brought a spirit of innovation to the development of a range of award-winning products that includes password recovery, data recovery, Windows recovery, and more software for 5 years.